Sweet & Sour Chicken
This Sweet & Sour Chicken recipe is so much better then a takeaway and is far healthier. Sweet & Sour Chicken is one of the most popular items on the menu in any Chinese takeaway across the UK, sharing equal status with Chicken Tikka Masala found in most Indian restaurants.
- 2-3 Large chicken breasts skinless, boneless
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- Groundnut or sunflower oil for deep frying plus extra for stir frying
- Tempura batter See below
- 1 red pepper cored, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 Carrot sliced thinly on the diagonal
- 2 Garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Soy sauce
- 3 tbsp White wine venegar
- 3 tbsp Sherry
- 1 tbsp light soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp Cornflour
- Cut the chicken breasts into small chunks and mix with the soy sauce and sesame oil. In a jug or bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients with 100ml cold water. Line a large plate with kitchen paper.
- Heat the groundnut oil in a deep-fat fryer to about 180C. Then dip a few chunks of chicken at a time into the batter, then place in the hot oil using tongs or a slotted spoon, but don't crowd the pan. Fry until crisp and golden - about 2 mins. You may need to do this in batches, so reheat the oil each time. As the chunks cook, lift out with tongs/spoon to the paper-lined plate to drain.
- Heat a wok to hot, add about 3 tbsp. oil and stir-fry the vegetables with the garlic and ginger for about 3 mins. Give the sauce a quick final stir and pour into the wok, mixing as it cooks to a light glossy sauce. Bubble for 1 min, then spoon over the chicken and serve. Making the Tempura Batter - This is how they do it!
- Mix this in small batches just as you are about to cook. Its well worth making as it adds real texture to the whole dish.
- Sift 85g/3oz plain flour and 1 tbsp. corn flour with ½ tsp. fine sea salt into a large mixing bowl. Mix in 200ml/7fl oz. ice-cold sparkling mineral water along with a few ice cubes using Chopsticks.
- It is important to have a few lumps as these result in the unique fluffy and crisp tempura structure when cooked. Use immediately.