(Visited 370 times, 1 visits today)
Perfect Roast Gravy
It's the making of a good roast dinner. The perfect gravy covers a multitude of sins, and if you want your roast dinners to taste delicious, then follow this recipe and you're there.
- 2 tbsp olive oil and equivalent in butter
- 2 medium white onions finely chopped
- 8 medium chestnut or white mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 celery stick finely chopped
- 1 tsp mild curry powder
- 2 tbsp plain white flour
- 2 pints Chicken stock substitute vegetable stock if you want to.
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch sugar
- sea salt and ground black pepper for seasoning
Preperation time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Required number of servings: people
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a medium saucepan, and add the chopped onions. Stir for a minute.
- Add the chopped celery stick and continue to stir for a minute.
- Add the chopped mushrooms, stir, and continue to fry for 10 minutes but be careful to not allow the food to burn. keep stirring. Once the pulp has fried, add the curry powder and stir until aromatic.
- Add the flour and stir until combined and then gradually add the chicken stock continually stirring to ensure no lumps form until all the stock is added. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce.
- Using a hand blender, blend the gravy until smooth. Add the pinch of sugar and season with a good amount of ground black pepper. Add salt to taste.
- Stir, turn down heat to a minimum and allow to reduce until you have the preferred consistency. Do not allow the gravy to stick to the bottom of the pan.